Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Richard Morrison Workshop

The past few days we have been working with Richard Morrison to individually develop an ident for the DCA that would be shown before every screening in their cinema. The brief was quite brief but fairly open to interpretation. The only constraints were that it had the be about the cinema itself and not DCA as a whole and be between 5 - 30 seconds in length.

After a quick brainstorming session were I wrote down all the words that immediately came into my head when thinking about DCA and the cinema I had a fairly clear idea of what I wanted to do.

My keywords were:

DCA
Cinema
Films
Genres
Art House
Independent
Screen
Projectors
Light - Silhouettes
Cameras
Audience
Seats - Empty - Full
Sound - Audio

From those keywords I came up with the idea of playing with light and silhouettes and the relationship between the audience, the screen and the projector. The final piece would be shot using live action people with motion graphics used for the logos.
The first animatic is presented below.



We had the opportunity to pitch our ideas to Richard at the end of the workshop for feedback and advice on how it could be improved. The main area that he though I could improve is the start section. Mainly that I could and should push the playfulness of the silhouettes in that each person should each have their own personality and unique silhouette even if it doesn't make complete sense for the setting. Having a man with an open umbrella for example. I quite like this idea and will explore it further in a future update.

No comments: